Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Tips for Vending at a Craft Fair: Part III

So far my tips for being a vendor at a craft fair or makers' market have been about setup, booth displays, and interacting with customers and other business owners. For my final installment of this series I will talk about the best part: having fun!

I'm the last person to tell anyone to just relax and enjoy themselves at an event, my default setting is anxious. But over the years I have found ways to make being at markets more fun, and when you're having fun, you make a better impression on those around you. So here's a couple suggestions for how to do that:

Christmas in July at Southern Swells Brewing Co.:


1. Dress for the event's theme or season: If you've seen me at a themed or seasonal event, you've probably seen me dressed to match the occasion. Whether it is a Christmas in July market and I'm wearing reindeer antlers with a tank top, or a Halloween market on a Jags game day and I'm wearing beaded Jags earrings and cat ears, I love choosing an outfit and accessories to accompany whatever event I'm doing. This makes you seem more approachable, too, so it's a win-win!

Boo & Brew 5k at Ancient City Brewing Co.:


2. Accessorize your booth for the occasion: I don't go too crazy with buying accessories for my booth, but I do keep some props on hand so that I can be on theme or in season. During the winter I use snowflake garlands and ornaments, in February I add a garland of hearts, during Halloween I add spooky decorations. Before going out and spending a bunch of money on booth accessories, take a look at what you already have on hand, you likely already have items that you can use.

3. Do try to relax and enjoy yourself: Yes, setup can be stressful and tiring, and worrying about making sales can be a distraction. But once you're settled in and ready to vend at your event, try to enjoy it. Have genuine conversations with shoppers, meet your fellow vendors, if you're at a restaurant, bar, or brewery, try the fare at that establishment. Markets are also social events for me, so I try to let myself enjoy the full experience.

All in all, being successful at craft fairs and other events is just a matter of experience, trial and error, and confidence in yourself. Don't be hard on yourself if you're not perfect the first time, and let yourself enjoy it and be flexible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment